After sitting on the Drama Centre audition panels for over six years, Drama Centre asked me to design an Audition Preparation short course specifically for drama school applicants. It was a huge success and the feedback was incredibly positive. My idea was that the students learn as much as they could from watching me work with each of them on their pieces, in a safe space, freeing them of any restrictions. Building trust and safety in a audition room is the key to freedom and creative expression. This was my main goal.
My other was that they were taught by someone like me, who had sat on the actual audition panels and were part of the process that the students were about to embark on. There are some wonderful teachers out there but there are also a lot of teachers who have not sat on the audition panels nor been part of the selection process of applicants and also have not actually worked as a professional Actor in the (ever changing) industry for a very very long time - this was vital to me. I wanted the students only to be taught by professional working Actors & Directors. This was the basis of me designing this course and also what made me create The Audition Room itself.
Lastly, after being taught in each class by a panellist/Actor like myself, I felt it was vital that the students worked towards something tangible so I added an extra element. At the end of the course, each student will have a mock audition with an actual panellist from another leading drama school. This way they will experience what a real audition feels like for a drama school, how it feels to be re-directed and then interviewed. They will also then get full feedback from the panellist.
Here, I am bringing the same idea and premise to The Audition Room for the first time. Taking into consideration everything going on with COVID, the course will be online. We will create a group where we will meet each week via zoom and work together to create a positive, safe, highly productive environment in order to get you as prepared and confident as you can possibly be for your 2021 drama school auditions.
The course will run on the following dates:
- Tuesday 1st December 6-9pm
- Tuesday 8th December 6-9pm
- Tuesday 15th December 6-9pm
- Tuesday 22nd December 6-9pm
- Wednesday 23rd - Mock Audition with drama school panellist. 18:00-20:00 (A one to one audition slot will be arranged for each student)
The Class will be capped at six people only to enable everyone to have the most beneficial amount of time to work on their pieces.
During the course we will cover:
- What to expect on Audition Day and how each school may differ.
- What Drama Schools are looking for.
- How to approach your pieces*
- How to approach Shakespeare. Tools and techniques to help you navigate the text.
- Getting the pieces on their feet and working them in class. (Our Playground)
- Getting to know your characters: Tools & exercises that will help you.
- Keeping the pieces alive and how you might be redirected in a recall audition.
- Drama School interviews and what to expect on Audition Day.
- Mock Audition online with another drama school panellist and full feedback from them.
As the course is capped at six people, we expect places to book fast. Please email me at email@example.com if you have any questions at all.
*It is very important that YOU choose the pieces you feel are right for you. Feel free to bring a couple of options to the course. To get the full benefit, it is important that you have pieces to bring and work on. It doesn't mean you have to use these pieces at your actual auditions. The aim of the course is that you learn how to approach monologues and will then be able to take what you have learnt and apply to any text.